The History of the Abbey, Palace, and Chapel-Royal of Holyroodhouse; including a description of the buildings as they now exist; with an account of the sanctuary for insolvent debtors.

  • [Mackie, Charles - but John Petrie?]
  • Edinburgh: Printed by J. Hay and Co... for Mrs John Petrie... and sold by her at the Chapel Royal, for Behoof of herself and family 1819


SKU: 6066 Category: Tags: ,


FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp. 124 + additional engraved title-page and 8 other plates (1 folding). Original boards, front board printed in black. Some offsetting from plates, top edges of first few leaves sometime repaired, running dampmark to top margin not touching text. Boards sometime recovered with plain paper preserving original printed area to front board, lightly soiled, old paper more so, corners bumped, a little rubbed.


Attributed to Charles Mackie (d. 1864) in several catalogues, though contemporary reviews referred to John Petrie as the author of this edition, and all editions were published for the benefit of Mrs Petrie, presumably his widow.

Location & Opening Times

3a & 4a Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AE

Opening Hours

Open seven days a week, 11am - 5pm

On Thursdays late night opening until 8pm